Another study from the great reference book, “The Hula Kahiko Collection,” by Kim Taylor Reece. This was a close-up portrait of one of Mr. Taylor’s subjects that caught my eye when I first flipped through the book. I knew I had to draw her.
I used my go-to technique of sharp angles and upsidedownedness to get the her likeness.
The image cropped off her hair so I had to draw up a stylized interpretation of it, which was a happy accident (RIP Bob Ross.) Everything else was just an effort to get a nice silhouette. The final touch was adding bits and pieces of micron for the darks. It’s necessary for that nice pop.
There are definitely some things I wish I would’ve approached differently, but that’s the objective with these studies; is to try things you think might have otherwise worked out. For example, before the island/ocean background, I had just made up a wreathe of very made-up leaves and it just looked… off. I couldn’t really figure out what I didn’t like about them, but I went based on instinct. That’s when drawing with a light line in a light color (I prefer Prismacolor Col-Erase pencils for this) really helps out. I was able to change that out easily.
Thank you for looking and maybe reading. Bless all
Originally done in ballpoint pen and some hi-liter markers. I ended up ruining the whole thing in an experiment. Kinda sucks, but it was fun and definitely a learning experience.
I took a risk with this one and just free-handed the numbers from his Porsche. One was colored in with colored pencil and the other with hi-liter marker. I just have to get more into background and color. Baby steps…
There have been quite a few people asking about this one so I found a solution. This will be a very small print run. Most likely around 10 total. Just visit my online store HERE and order yourself one or get it for that hardcore Elvis fan you know. Thank you all. TONS!
This was interesting. I went to do a 2Pac portrait for an art trade with a tattoo artist out of Fresno, CA and I had so much trouble getting the proportions right. I went ahead with 2 reference images this time; one for his face/gesture and the other for the handkerchief (the chain was free-handed.) Anyway, somewhere in the process, I was losing his likeness in the initial line drawing so I busted out a blue pen and went to work. For some reason I’ve yet to discover, the pen approach worked out in my favor. I was able to pinpoint the proportions of his face and, in the end, realized a lot of the trouble was coming from the nose to mouth area. So now on to toned paper 🙂